Are you looking for my non-technical blog?

This is now my technical-only blog, my non-technical blog is here.

19 March 2006

Norton Update Kicks AOL Users Offline

An incorrect update to Symantec's Norton security software on Wednesday blocked Internet access for some America Online users. The issue affected AOL customers using recent editions of Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security, Symantec said in a statement sent via e-mail on Thursday. The culprit was an update to intrusion prevention software that is part of the security software, the company said. "This update incorrectly detected traffic patterns used as part of the AOL connection as a potential risk," Symantec said in the statement. AOL has about 20 million Internet service subscribers. As a result of the incorrect update, AOL dial-up customers lost their connection and AOL broadband users were unable to access AOL servers, Symantec said. The erroneous update was removed from Symantec's servers about seven hours after it was released, and a corrected version was posted, the company said. The Norton problem is the second high-profile problem with security software within a week. Last Friday an error in McAfee's virus definition file caused the company's consumer and enterprise antivirus products to flag Microsoft's Excel, as well as other applications on users' PCs, as a virus called W95/CTX. Source: News-dot-Com Tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. I've been having a problem when I open AOL Homepage. I'm not having any problems with my connection. I'm running Road Runner. However, when I do try to access the AOL Homepage, I immediately get a medium intrusion was blocked notice. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My anti-virus is Norton

    ReplyDelete