Are you looking for my non-technical blog?

This is now my technical-only blog, my non-technical blog is here.

02 November 2005

Manalaa.net: Position On Top Time Trick

Since you can change the time tag when creating a new blog post. You can write it now, but set the date and time to two hours later, or even the following day. So the point is that many people just change their posts time and/or date to make them appear on the top of Manalaa.net - or any blog aggregator they are member of. That's why I think that blog aggregators shall discard the time tag that comes with the posts, and use the time when they crawled to the blog instead. Tags: , ,

3 comments:

  1. I must admit that I personally use this trick alot.

    but being the hypocrite dictator that I am I don't like it when others use the same trick and some times drop their posts from the aggregator.

    but I still think it is better to rely on post timestamp, when people have their timezone correctly configured it maintains context.

    without using post timestamp adding new blogs to the aggregator will result in ancients posts appearing on top.

    the solution is to have an algorithm that does something like

    $post_time = ($post_timstampt - $current time > 1*SECONDS_IN_HOUR) ? $current_time : $post_timestamp;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this solution is fine. By the way that SECONDS_IN_HOUR thing is realy funny, however it makes the code more readable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete